As a business networking site, LinkedIn is one of the best. There are a number of ways to market yourself and your business without a lot of hassle. Use this handy checklist to make sure each step is taken care of and that you don’t leave anything important out.
- I have signed up for an account.
- I have created a rock-solid profile that includes:
- Information that conveys what my business or brand is about.
- A summary of who I am, what I do and who my ideal followers are.
- It’s keyword rich
- Is written in first-person
- Contains contact details
- Includes my website URL, blog link, company URL, social networking accounts and sites that provide professional information about me.
- Customize the links with keywords
- Employment & education history
- Skills and Endorsements
- Volunteer experience & supported causes
- A professional headshot myself (not a casual selfie) that takes up 60% of the frame.
- Projects you are proud of that are relative to your goals (use links!)
- Work samples, publications, awards, etc.
- My professional certification like MD, DDS (optional)
- I added a video to my profile (under summary works)
- Make the video short, no more than a minute or two.
- Ensure that your lighting is great so that your face shows up well
- Dress appropriately (hey if they only see your head, just wear a nice shirt)
- Practice what you’ll say
- Remember to talk directly to your audience and look at the camera
- Tell them what problems you solve for them
- Give them an idea on how to contact you and tell them to read your entire profile.
Getting Started Tips
- Establish your professional goals for using LinkedIn. Keep this in mind with everything you do on the site.
- Request recommendations from people you have worked with in the past.
- Request recommendations from new customers/clients as you complete their projects.
- Under “settings” you can adjust your activity broadcasts, who can view your activity feed, etc.
- Include short links in your updates to generate higher engagement.
- Use a link shortening service like http://bitly.com to create short links for your updates.
- Updates that help your followers be more successful covert a higher number of viewers into loyal followers.
- Check your profile regularly to keep it updated.
- Post an “update” a few times a week
- Publish a post at least weekly
- Start new discussions in other people’s groups weekly
- Start new discussions in your space a few times a week
- Add documents, photos, and links to your work and presentations that are relevant.
- Ask one or two people a week for a recommendation (make it personal and only ask those you know)
- Comment on discussions and engage with other members
- Invite at least one person a week to connect with you
- Ask for introductions
- Set aside time each week to work on your LinkedIn Page
- Consider starting a company page
- Use many types of content such as text, presentations, documents and photos.
- Include most of the following: Links, Call-to-actions, Current Events, a Product or a Service.
- Ensure most of your updates are organic and they all offer value.
- Make your content compelling.
- Follow people strategically; seek out your competition and their audience.
- Know your ideal follower & focus on them.
- Get and stay organized so you don’t waste time.
- Use the search feature to help you find people to follow. Only follow relevant people.
- Join and actively participate in targeted groups
- Brand any image you use on LinkedIn
- Recommend others without them having to ask (but only if you feel they are worthy of it)
- Call people out to thank them, congratulation them or to bring attention to them. (and yourself)
- Ask questions of your viewers
- Ask for help when you need feedback or are looking for a recommendation about a product or service you are interested in
- Share resources and freebies
- Hold a contest
- Offer a sneak peek or behind the scenes look at your product, your business or whatever customers may be interested in but normally don’t see.
- If you have products, share images of them with links back to your sales pages.
- Share business related photos; photos of your business, events you’re attending, training seminars, etc.
- Share job openings within your company
- Post inspiration, motivation, advice and humor posts.
- Share business related announcements; product launches, awards, new staff, etc.
- Post Industry related articles that would be of interest to your followers
- Follow and engage with industry influencers.
Use this checklist for at-a-glance tips for setting up and using LinkedIn.
I hope this essentials checklist has really given you the edge.
Be sure to leave a comment and share this with a friend to help them out too!
To your success.